My new endeavor...

So, for those of you who don't know, I am learning to play the hammered dulcimer -- and contrary to popular belief, it has nothing at all to do with alcohol. :) You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard that joke already...

For awhile now, I've been feeling the need to do something creative. I've played piano for years and years, and studied musical direction for theatre in college. Even after I graduated I played piano at my church until I moved to Lynchburg to be with Scott. After I moved, it all stopped...

Believe it or not, I was totally okay with that. I was suffering from an extreme case of burn-out. I had a passion for music and theatre, but when they became something that I had to do for hours and hours every day, it became tedious and I lost the love of doing it. It took about three years before I got that craving back. When I finally started really wanting to play again, Scott very graciously let me sit in on keyboards in the Crosspoint band...that was sooo much fun because it was a totally different type of music than I had ever played (contemporary worship music with the occasional secular song thrown in). It's fun to fill in, but my responsibilities with the children's ministry don't let me do it too often.

Then, this summer I found out from my friend Bridgette that she was moving from her one bedroom apartment into a room at her sister's house and she was worried she wouldn't have room for her stuff. She owns a hammered dulcimer that's in pretty great shape and when I mentioned that I thought it was a cool instrument she asked if I wanted to borrow it while she lives in Charleston. It worked out great for both of us -- one less thing for her to fit into her new room, and I could try it out without investing in an instrument.

Once we had a little money to spare for lessons, I contacted Susan, a dulcimer player from York, SC who teaches lessons. I just had my second lesson today, and I'm loving it so far. She's helping me develop my ear and not rely on written music as much, which for a visual learner like me is no small task. :) I'm attending a workshop at her house next weekend about arranging music that I think will be super beneficial. I have no idea where I'll ever play the dulcimer, but for now I'm just enjoying getting to know the instrument and fulfilling my neglected creative side... :)

No comments: